Things happen for a reason – although we are going through a rough ride with life, we should not let it stop us from believing in our dreams and making them happen. This was true with Elha Mae Nympha, The Voice Kids 2 Grand Champion. Despite all the difficulties she and her family went through after her father passed away, she did not lose hope, instead she used her pain and talent to achieve her dream of becoming a professional singer.
We’ve seen how effortlessly this young girl from Kamuning, Quezon City hit those high notes since she joined the Blind Auditions.
She gave us goosebumps when she sang “Natutulog Ba ang Diyos” originally sang by Gary V during the Sing-Offs.
And who would forget her perfect performance during the Semi- Finals singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from the hit musical Carousel?
Watching her and other contestants every weekend, here are some facts we’ve learned about the latest The Voice Kids Grand Champion:
1. Elha got 42.16% of the total votes after her stellar performance of “Emotions” by Mariah Carey during the final showdown. This made her the first member of Camp Kawayan to become The Voice Kids Grand Champion since the show started in 2013.
2. At the age of 11, Elha started selling banana cue (February 2015) to help her mother earn a living after her father died (December 2014) because of ulcer.
3. Being the eldest of four children Elha helps her mother, Lucy in taking care of her three siblings.
4. Elha’s late father is from Brgy. Hiagsam, Jaro, Leyte so she is a Leyteño and Waray-waray by blood. Because of this, a lot of Leyteños supported her and now that she had won the competition they are hoping that she would visit Leyte and watch her perform.
5. She dedicated most if not all her performances to her late father which helped her get all the emotions she needed to connect with her audience.
6. She plans to invest her P1 million cash prize on a banana cue restaurant. Aside from the cash prize she also received a music instrument package, a family utility vehicle, a house and lot worth P2 million, and a P1-million trust fund.
7. Even before joining The Voice Kids 2, some netizens already noticed her talent in singing. In this video below, which was uploaded on Youtube on February 20, Elah can be seen holding a plasticware with banana cue while singing “Ngayon” by Basil Valdez.
8. Last but surely not the least. Elha was the last member to join Team Bamboo during the Blind Auditions after she captivated Coach Bamboo Mañalac with her version of “Vision of love” originally sang by Mariah Carey. She then beat out other talented singers from the camp Kawayan, including Paul Abellana, Martina Luis, Sim Teves and Benedict Inciong to win the final spot in Bamboo’s top 2.
Her journey had not been so easy and it still so far from being over. Winning the said singing contest was just one part of it, I am sure we are going to hear more from this young and very talented artist as she… walks on.