The heavy traffic in Metro Manila is not only caused by the lack of roads or the congestion of buses in the National Capital Region. The stressful traffic jams are also due to many other factors, such as the overpopulation of residents, congestion of private vehicles, inefficient services of rail transportation, and the ineffective traffic control management in the country’s capital region.
Furthermore, the effects of Metro Manila’s traffic is not only limited to the delays suffered by the riding public but traffic congestion can also cause air pollution, noise pollution, vehicular accidents, and an unhealthy economy in the region and even in the national level.
Whether you’re residing in Metro Manila or just a concerned Filipino citizen, here are 10 alarming facts that are related to the heavy traffic in the region that you should know:
1. In 2013, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) listed a total of 2,101,148 motor vehicles registered in NCR or 27% of the country’s 7,690,038 total registered motor vehicles. In 2015, the total motor vehicles in Metro Manila has already peaked at 2.5 million. Source: The Standard
2. Metro Manila has only 1,032 kilometers of roads or 3.5% of the total 39,370 kilometers of roads nationwide. The National Capital Region has only one kilometer of road per 424 vehicles. Source: The Standard
3. The traffic demand in Metro Manila is at 12.8 million trips. 69% of these total trips are done using public transport yet only 22% of the road space is occupied by public vehicles. The other 78% of road space is taken by private vehicles. Source: National Economic and Development Authority
4. A study by the National Center for Transportation Studies says that the heavy traffic in Metro Manila cost the country 137.5 billion pesos in 2011. Source: Rappler
5. The total population of Metro Manila as of 2010 is already at 11,855,975 which is almost 12% of the total population of the Philippines. The total land area of Metro Manila (638 square kilometers) is only 0.21% of the total land area of the Philippines (300,000 square kilometers). Source: Philippine Census
6. Manila, Pateros and Caloocan are the top 3 most densely populated cities in the world. Manila has a population density of 42,857 people living per square kilometer. Source: Wikipedia
7. As of 2010, the number of informal settler families in Metro Manila is already more than half a million. This number is already 20% of the total number of household in Metro Manila. 41% of these informal settlers are located in government owned lands while 34% are in privately owned lands. Source:National Economic and Development Authority
8. 20% of the total income of the poor in Metro Manila is spent on transportation. This percentage is more than what they spend for rice (15% ), utilities (6.97% ), health (2.99% ), clothing (2.96% ) and education (3.37% ). Source: The Standard
9. 85% of air pollution in Metro Manila comes from vehicles. Source: GMA Network
10. According to a COA report, a P1.314-billion allocation from the Disbursement Acceleration Program for the rehabilitation of Light Rail Transit 1 and 2 was released in full by the Aquino’s administration in January 2014. However, the rehabilitation projects have not yet been implemented due to several project revisions. In the same month, the MMDA has launched a new traffic signalling system worth P290 million. Source: The Standard, Manila Times
Have you reached any conclusion about the facts or statistics listed above? Feel free to make a comment below. Sharing knowledge is also great. So please share this post to your friends. 🙂Like and join us on Facebook